Monday, June 1, 2015

Antique and Vintage Estate Sale Finds - May 30, 2015

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a good estate sale! We had a nice one in Canyon Lake over the weekend with lots of mid-century and older items up for grabs. I'll be re-selling some of these items, and some items I think I may keep.

These are some 1960s ceramic sconce vases that are super kitschy! You can find them for sale here.
Made in Japan, they would be a wonderful addition to any tiki or safari themed room.


I always look for old sewing notions, patterns, and fabric when I attend one of these events. This is a lovely little antique brass pin cushion from the late 1890s to early 1900s. I haven't decided if I'm letting this one go.




Another fabulous find was this 1940s/1950s Mexican hand painted, hand carved batea wood bowl. Despite the picture, the colors are vibrant and beautiful!! I'll be listing this one in the near future, and update here when I do.




I have always loved interesting clocks.This is an awesome 1950s atomic style bed side clock made by The Hollis Press and Underwriters Laboratories. UL was known for lamps and lighting, so it should be no surprise that it even has a night light option that illuminates the bottom right rectangle. This will most likely be a keeper, but I had to show it off!!



Interesting kitchen items are also a passion of mine. Often, a woman's kitchen was a reflection of her skill and taste. I know many women would find such ideals as degrading or anti-feminist, but I find it quite the opposite. A woman could express creativity in the kitchen, and it was her domain to wield and foster control of her household.

These are a few of items I was able to snag

Here is a Betty Crocker recipe box from 1971. The recipe set is only half complete, so I will not be listing it. Nonetheless, my husband will be most happy with my attempt at some of these goodies. I have seen some of these boxes on Etsy, and if interested, you can find a complete set in a variety of colors very reasonably (avg $20)!


Another find was this anodized aluminum rolling pin. It is a very nice weight, and would look great in any stainless steel style kitchen! It is currently for sale here.


This is one of a set of four late 1960s serving trays. Loving the daisies! Now listed here!
 

A lot of home décor and house hold items in the early to late 1960s were made in Japan. As such, items from this time period had Oriental influence and motifs. I'll expand on this trend in a future post. For now, this little vase is a great representation of its time period. I will update as soon as this item is listed.
 

The Mod style emerged in the mid 1960s and lasted until the very early 1970s. A large part of this style were items made out of the dark wood walnut. Again, this will be expanded on in a future post. This little ashtray caught my eye as it was a vacation souvenir. Elaborate vacations, such as that to Jamaica, weren't as common as they are today. Most people would take road trips because it was more affordable and accessible rather than flying to a destination. This little ashtray even has a Jamaican half penny coin from 1940 embedded in the wood.
 
I hope to have most of these items listed within the month. I will update each when I do. If you have any questions about one of these items, feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment